Moving into a memory care assisted living facility can be a big step! Sometimes the search may seem daunting because many people don’t know what they should be looking at when they assess which facility would be best for their loved one, or what questions to ask when touring an assisted living facility. Poet’s Walk, a Spring Hills community, is here to help make the process a bit simpler.
Details to Research About Assisted Living Facility
Think of these as “due diligence” questions – making sure that the facilities you’re looking at all have good histories of care and proper operations. Find whatever you can online, but try to confirm information in person, such as when you visit the facility and walk around.
- Are they legitimate facilities with good records? See if the facilities on your list appear on www.medicare.gov or the Better Business Bureau. Check with your state licensing agency to see if they have had lapses in licenses or if they have had any actions or claims by residents. You can also ask to view their licensing and certification reports.
- How much do they cost? This information is best if you get it directly from the facilities. Find out whether some of the costs are covered by Medicaid. Make sure you have an accurate picture of costs and that you are aware of any add-ons, such as meal plan fees.
- What food plans are offered? How do they accommodate different senior nutrition needs and diets? How do they go about planning their meals? This is particularly important if your loved one has allergies or certain dietary requirements. See if you can visit the dining area during your visit!
- What amenities are there? See what a facility has to offer outside of residency – game rooms, a gym, and entertainment areas, for example, and ask about what amenities are nearby. You may also ask about what kind of transportation may be available.
- How safe and secure is it? Is there an updated security system? Can wheelchairs easily fit through the halls and doors? What happens if there is an emergency, like a fire? What are the staff trained in? What happens if someone is hurt? What safety protocols do they have?
- What programs are available? Do they offer ongoing and dedicated memory care services? Does the facility offer any recreational activities? What kind of senior-friendly fitness and exercise programs are there? What procedure do visitors have to follow?
Memory Care Facility Details to Learn On Location
Some elements of an assisted living facility will have to be seen or experienced in person. Visiting a facility for a tour is the best way to really get a good sense of what life is like as a resident. During tours, you may consider…
- How does it feel in this facility? Are the caregivers and staff friendly and accommodating? Do the residents look happy and content?
- Is it properly maintained? Is it clean? Are the grounds well maintained? Are the doors and windows secure?
- What are the living quarters like? How much storage space do residents get? What are the different apartment types? How are bathrooms, kitchens, or other areas shared?
Holistic Memory Care and Assisted Living for Seniors
At Poet’s Walk, we believe that the best senior care incorporates care for the physical, emotional, and mental health. Our residents have the most capable caregivers and have access to a variety of holistic therapies, social activities, and recreational classes to engage in. We understand that our seniors have different needs, and we are happy to accommodate them!