When a loved one experiences memory loss, it is important to find care that is suited to their unique needs and preferences. Though many assisted living facilities offer memory care services, not every community is alike in their care philosophies, their offered amenities, and their available recreational activities. As Poet’s Walk, we strive to meet the unique needs of each and every resident. To help your family make the most appropriate decision for your loved one, consider the following 10 questions to ask a memory care facility, each serving to provide you with thorough insight into the type of care and attention that is offered.
Memory Care Facility Interview Questions
- What is the extent of your staff’s experience with patients who have [your loved one’s health condition]?
- Is the staff trained in the Heimlich maneuver, first aid techniques, and CPR?
- When a patient presents agitation or severe confusion, what do your caregivers do?
- What is the residents-to-staff ratio during various times of the day and night? How about on holidays and weekends?
- How would you describe the nutritional standards your dietary staff follows? Are you willing to create special meals for those with allergies, health conditions, or religious beliefs to be mindful of?
- What kinds of recreational and therapeutic activities do you provide at your facility? How frequently do these activities take place?
- What do you enjoy most and least about taking care of seniors with memory loss?
- How do you plan to involve a patient’s family in their loved one’s care plan?
- In your care plan, what is the procedure you follow to document medication administration, as well as recreational activities for your patients?
- What sets your memory care program apart from other facilities?
Learn More About Memory Care at Poet’s Walk
As you review the intricacies of a senior care facility, keep your loved one active in the process to ensure they have access to the care and attention they need. To discover our unique approach to senior memory care, contact a facility near you. With our tailored amenities and services, Poet’s Walk strives to meet the needs of each and every resident.
Experience the difference a caregiver team trained to offer quality memory care can make for your loved one. Schedule a visit today to meet our expert caregiver team.